- Courses for Adult Learners
- Family Nature Camp
- Conferences and Events
- Summer Field Institute for High School Students
- Summer Field Studies for Children
- Summer Yucatan Intensive
Letters From the Summer Place
Syllabus and schedule notes.
Dear prospective reader and writer of Letters from the Summer Place:
The shape of each day in this week-long seminar will turn through pages of the letters we share, with time for discovery and reflection, conversation and celebration. The rhythm of our days will include
(1) time for reading letters in silence and out loud
(2) hearing and responding to these letters together, and
(3) writing letters from this summer and this place in our lives.
We’ll read from correspondents summering in and out of Maine—including Ruth Moore on and away from her native Gott’s Island, E.B. White between New York City and North Brooklin (not Brooklyn!), and van Gogh among the flowers and characters of Arles. And, because letters are portable, we, too, will travel on and around Mount Desert Island as we read and write. How many letters make a day?
Please feel free to contact me through the Summer Programs office once you have enrolled in the above course.