- Alumni Giving
- COA's Annual Fund
- COA's Capital Campaign
- Donor Profiles
- Donor Resources
- Give A Gift Online
- Planned Giving
- Special Initiatives
Saving The Turrets
The Turrets, designed by architect Bruce Price and built in 1895, is the iconic building and heart of the COA campus. It is also important to all who have come to love the architecture and history of MDI.
It is now in urgent need of repair.
Time is of the essence. In order to avoid interrupting the academic calendar, we will begin reconstruction in April, 2013. The immediate goal is to reconstruct and preserve the outer envelope for the next century. That will cost the college $3.9M and the work will include:
- New roofing infrastructure and a new 100-year slate roof;
- New copper drainage system and copper roof fl ashing;
- Shallow (3-inch) repointing of the granite across 30% of the exterior;
- Deep (up to 12-inch) repointing of the granite across 40% of the exterior;
- Dismantling and reconstruction of the two oceanside turrets;
- Reconstruction of seven granite chimneys;
- New energy-saving and historically honest doors and windows;
- New trim and soffits.
If you would like to know more about The Turrets, and how you can help, please call 207-801-5620 or make a gift online to the renovation of this historical landmark. We feel very strongly about this important project and hope you will join us in making it happen.
Although the Coastguard maintains right of access to the aids to navigation equipment on the islands, the College is responsible for the buildings and maintenance of the structures on both Mount Desert Rock and Great Duck Island.
Mount Desert Rock suffered serious damage after Hurricane Bill blew through the gulf in 2009:
- The generator shed needs to be rebuilt;
- The buildings need new paint;
- The house needs some sprucing up.
Items to Buy in Support
Save Turrets Bumper Sticker: $25
Original Slate from the Roof: $500
- The Turrets Building: $5M
- Turrets Seaside Garden: $1.5M
- The Great Porch: $1M
- President’s Office: $1M
- Allied Whale Office: $500k
- Portico — Entry: $250k
- Straus Room Porch: $250k
- Academic Dean's Office: $250k
- Dean of Institutional Advancement's Office: $250k
- Business Offices: $150k
- Faculty Offices (7): $100k each
- Staff Offices (7): $50k each
- Mail room: $50k