- Courses for Adult Learners
- Family Nature Camp
- Conferences and Events
- Summer Field Institute for High School Students
- Summer Field Studies for Children
- Summer Undergraduate Courses
Courses for Adult Learners
2013 courses for K-12 teachers
Expand your subject area knowledge and your teaching tool kit through field-based study at College of the Atlantic! This professional development summer program has served thousands of participants from around the country since 1982.
Classes combine fieldwork, lab or studio sessions with lecture and discussions led by knowledgeable and accessible faculty members. Daily field trips take place in extraordinary settings in Acadia National Park, on the Maine coast, and at the college's scenic ocean-side campus.
Choose from a variety of courses in the life sciences, environmental studies, arts, and more. Earn up to four graduate credits and return to your classroom energized and inspired.
Use the navigation on the left side of this page, or the links here, to learn more about this summer's courses and faculty, 2013 rates and registration information, and more detailed information for course participants.
Read more.... Scholastic Article
Program At a Glance
- Tuition Rates for 2013: The base tuition rate is $625 per week for
all courses. An additional per credit fee will be assessed for those seeking graduate
- All 2013 summer courses have been pre-approved for Continuing Education Units (CEUs) by the University of Maine. Students taking a course for continuing education will receive a pass or fail; those taking a course for graduate credit will receive a letter grade.
- Two-week courses are eligible for four graduate semester credits and one-week courses are eligible for two graduate semester credits. Individuals taking courses for graduate credit will be required to complete a rigorous and substantive final project.
- Small classes (up to 15 students) optimize contact between faculty and students.
- Courses combine labs, discussions, lectures, and field trips exploring the bays, estuaries, bogs, forests, flora, and fauna of Acadia National Park.
- Housing is available on our oceanfront, Bar Harbor campus on a first-come, first-served basis. Pending availability, family members and supervised children are welcome to stay with you.
- Students are strongly encouraged to register by no later than May 17, 2013. Registrations are accepted through June pending space availability. Please contact the Summer Programs office prior to booking long distance flights, as there are instances where courses may be cancelled due to low enrollment.
COA is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
Summer 2013 Courses
For a complete listing of our 2013 summer course offerings, please click here.
Click here for secure online course registration. Payment may be made via check, credit card, or purchase order.
Bring Your Family!
While you're in class your family members can enjoy exploring Acadia National Park with our expert naturalist guides!
COA's popular Family Nature Camp has week-long sessions between June 30 – August 3, 2013.
Our Summer Field Studies day camp for children offers one- and two-week sessions for children in grades 1–9.
College of the Atlantic
105 Eden Street
Bar Harbor, ME 04609