The placement of a model not only makes the painting more of a story, it helps tremendously in seeing the landscape. Experienced figure painter, Judy Taylor, will work with students to enjoy a better understanding of adding value to create a narrative for the viewer which brings a heightened sense of the surroundings.
Judy knows the island intimately and will take you to some of her favorite places to work each morning. Taking our sketchbooks and model, we will explore the beautiful landscape scenery that makes this a destination for painters, returning to campus for lunch at midday. We will have one very early morning day to catch the special light with our model on top of Cadillac Mountain and one full day on the Cranberry Islands. Except for the one day on Cranberry, afternoons will be spent in the life painting studio working our drawings into composition paintings.
Students will be lodged on the ocean at College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor with three meals a day from one of the highest rated college kitchens in the country.
About the artist
Born in Nebraska, Judy Taylor grew up in the Midwest and moved to New York City in 1985 to study at the New York Academy Art, the Art Students League and the National Academy of Design. She has studied extensively in Europe. In 1995 she moved to Mount Desert Island in Maine and operates her studio and gallery in Seal Cove.
Early Bird Rates (end 2/28/17)
|Tuition single room||$1,800|
|Tuition shared room||$1,700|
|Tuition single room||$1,900|
|Tuition shared room||$1,800|
- Room and board: including breakfast, lunch and dinner in COA’s award winning dining hall (box lunches as needed)
- *Commuter lunch included
- All instruction, transportation, studio time, and Acadia National Park Week Pass
- Partial refunds will be considered in the event of a documented health or family emergency.
- The $150 deposit and $50 application fees due at registration are non-refundable.
- All refunds will be paid by check.