Classes

Fall 2018

-Marine Biology

-Human Ecology Core Course

-Geology of MDI

-Auditing Ecology: Natural History

 

Winter 2019

-Courses in Shakespeare, biology and writing about oceans and fishes. 

Favorite class:

Geology of MDI because when my mom came to visit me, I told her the entire geological history of the island and we visited a bunch of different sites and talked about rocks, something we’ve never talked about in the past!

My approach to human ecology:

Learning about climate change, about coral reefs, about how climate change is affecting them.

Learning about coastal communities, anthropology, cross-cultural communication.

Learning about policy and how to make change happen.

 

Ta-da, human ecology!

Activities, traditions, celebrations:

I love judgement-free dancing every Sunday night. Its a great, judgement-free space (what an intuitive name) to dance your heart out with no shoes on. I love it so much and it’s such a great tradition to say goodbye to the previous week and hello to the week to come. 

Passions & motivations:

CLIMATE CHANGE: Join the fight for Mother Nature!

Adventures yet to come:

I dream of diving the Great Barrier Reef as it used to look 100 years ago. It won’t be next term, 5 years or 10 years, it will be many many years in the future but it is still a hope that is deep within me. I hope to travel to Mongolia and do anthropological work there, or maybe head back to the Philippines where I spent a few months and work in the mangroves again.

Best meal on campus:

Miso pesto pasta with veggies! 

COA might be the right college for you if...

… have tons of different interests, a desire to learn about the world around you and an appreciation for self-directed learning!

Ephemera:

For all of the classes I’m taking/auditing, I really think I’ve only sat in a classroom 15% of the time. The other 85% I’ve been out in Acadia, on some coastline or taking a hike up a mountain (we climbed Borestone with my Geology course and Natural History course the other weekend!)

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Something had to lay the egg, but was it a chicken?