Returning students: find the instructions and forms you need here>>

Financial aid deadlines for new students

Please be sure that we receive your full financial aid application, including the appropriate COA financial aid application and all accompanying paperwork, by the dates below:

  • Early Decision I: Dec 10
  • Early Decision II: Jan 20
  • Regular Decision: Feb 1
  • Transfer Admission: March 15

How apply for need-based financial aid

Domestic (U.S.) applicants

Step 1: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Step 2: Complete the College of the Atlantic New Student Financial Aid Verification and Application (see below).

Step 3: Provide COA with parent and student 2017 Tax Return Transcript or have used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool as well as copies of all W-2s and/or 1099s.

New Dependent Student (Under 27)  

New Independent Student (27 and older)  

 Additional Documents 

Non-custodial Parent Finances

International applicants

Step 1: Read our International Student Financial Aid Filing Instructions—this guide lays out which forms and paperwork you will need to submit, and when you need to submit them. 

Step 2: All international students, regardless of whether you are applying for aid, must submit the COA Certification of Finances form. Your application for admission to COA can not be reviewed until this form has been submitted.

Step 3:  Complete and submit the COA Financial Aid Application for International Students along with corroborating documents such as bank statements, tax returns, or pay stubs.



What is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and what information you will need to complete?

What it is:

To apply for federal student aid, such as federal grants, work-study, and loans, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and easier than ever.

College of the Atlantic uses your FAFSA information, along with other information, to determine your eligibility for need-based institutional aid.

What you will need to complete:

  • Your, and your parents’, Social Security Number
  • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Your, and your parents’ federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
  • An FSA ID to sign electronically.