We see our campus as a laboratory for sustainability; all new construction is built using green technologies and building practices . Our older structures, including many buildings that were initially constructed more than 100 years ago as seasonal residences, are gradually being renovated and retrofitted to increase efficiency through new heating systems, appliances, windows, doors, light fixtures, and insulation. We’ve made great strides across campus, but there’s still plenty of work to bring us to our goal of being fully fossil-fuel-free.
Notable campus features include:
The Kathryn W. Davis Village is our newest, greenest construction: solar panels provide electricity; walls are packed with twelve inches of insulation made from recycled cellulose; heat and hot water are supplied by a centralized wood pellet boiler system; showers have a heat recovery system that uses gray water to temper incoming cold water; “light shelf” technology directs natural light into interior spaces and helps maximize passive solar gain; and composting toilets help minimize water use and recycle human waste.
Energy: Solar arrays are prevalent across campus, and on both of the college’s farms. There are three separate arrays totaling ninety-nine panels at the Kathryn W. Davis Village. The farms host more than 100 panels. Visit our energy page to learn more about our renewable energy and energy-efficiency efforts.
Lighting: Energy-saving LED bulbs are installed across campus. Motion sensors control lights in the hallways of several buildings, and campus energy audits have found that community members are so diligent about turning off lights, that sensors have been deemed unnecessary in many other areas.
Landscape & grounds: Our campus and properties are managed in an ecologically sensitive manner, without the use of synthetic fertilizers or chemical pesticides. Our landscape management is based on the overarching campus goals of promoting sustainability, biodiversity, and educational opportunity.
Recent renovations: Built in 1895, The Turrets, our 13,000 square foot, stone castle-like administrative building was renovated in 2013 to improve structural integrity and energy efficiency. We replaced 99 old, leaky single-pane windows with new thermopane windows, and conducted significant air sealing that has saved approximately 1400 gallons of heating oil each winter.